Monday, June 11, 2007

Summer Reading

This weekend I finish up the book "Many Waters" by Madeliene L'Engle, the final book in the Time Quartet. It was a beautiful story that I have taken much truth from and thoughts continue to come to mind as I think back on the story. And after coming off of such an enjoyable read I feel inspired to think ahead to what books I would like to read this summer.

I think one book that I will read is David James Duncan's "The Brothers K." My friend Amy is always recommending it and considering that baseball is a major theme of the book it seems like an appropriate read for the summer. I think I will also make some room for more of L'Engle's work, after all she is my favorite author. "The Rock That Is Higher" by L'Engle was recently recommended to me by another friend and sounds like a great work of non-fiction to help spark creativity. And I am sure that I will find some poetry to mix in with the rest.

Summer is one of my favorite times for reading. A lot of people might think that is strange. But I love grabbing a good book and heading to the park or my favorite cafe to sit in the sun and get lost in a good story. Something about the summer sun helps be to slow down enough to really enjoy a good read. Perhaps it is the longer hours of daylight. With more hours in the day I feel less guilty about spending a few hours with my nose in a book.

I hope that everyone else has some great books that you are looking forward to jumping into this summer. I'd love to hear any recommendation you all have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i highly recommend _the brothers k_! and since we work together we can even discuss it as you are reading it. fun times.

Kristen Gough said...

those books are good ones, bree! i hope you enjoy them and have space this summer to soak them up. i'm on the lookout for some good reads myself.

it's so fun to pop over to your blog and see a couple great new posts! your photos from the hike and your thoughts about the experience are so beautiful. i hope you have a great weekend. love, kristen

Aleah said...

I think summer is the best time to read also. When I'm outside reading I don't feel guilty! Now this is WHEN I get a chance to read! Ha ha