Friday, August 24, 2007

Why I Love to Knit

During certain busier, more stressful seasons I find myself turning back to my knitting. There is something very calming about knitting.

You start with nothing but a ball of yarn and 2 needles, then before you know it the yarn has been transformed into something beautiful, something useful. I think I love this aspect of knitting so much because the progress in life is not always so easy to see. It is encouraging to see something come to completion when most areas of life are left open and unresolved. I become hopeful that the loose strings of my life can also be woven into so fine and useful a pattern.


There is comfort, too, in the rythmn of knitting. The steady motion, the clicking of the neddles with each stitch. I find myself hypnotized by this rythmn and all my worries fade away. I concentrate on the pattern I am creating. I focus on each stitch as I make it. I get lost in the music of knit and purl.

3 comments:

Casey said...

Wow! I'm impressed Bree. Perhaps I'll have to take some lessons from you! Most of what I attempt ends up in knots... :) Hope all is well with you.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the info on hair donating...we'll see what happens!

I'm not a knitter- I know how to crochet but it takes so long it's easy to get discouraged- ever since I started quilting I've loved how big a blanket can get with one sew of the machine- so gratifying! I do miss however the ability to kind of "veg" and work at the same time, the kind of relaxation I found with crochetting.

Aleah said...

ohhh, you just might get me in the mood to knit & crochet again!

Love the colors of yarn you choose!