Friday, August 10, 2007

The Wisdom of Kincaid Chance

I have been reading my way through The Brothers K by David James Duncan. It is a book that came to me highly recommended and I would recommend it just as highly. But that is not why I am writing. I wanted to share a few lines that I read from this beautiful book this week.

These are the thoughts of Kincaid, the youngest of the Chance brothers, and the narrator of the story.

"It's incredible to me how blithely even intelligent people sometimes toss around terms like 'transcendence' and 'crucifixion.' The words move us on paper. They feel noble upon the tongue. But when they cease to be sounds and begin to caress the flesh and bones, when they leave the page and get physical, there is little that even the best of us wouldn't do to escape them. (Matthew 26:39: Jesus 'went a little further, and fell on his face...')"

How poetically the struggle between the the desire to be transformed and the comfort of staying as we are has been captured. I know I wrestle with this most days. I am glad that Kincaid has reminded me that even Christ himself did wrestle too.

No comments: