Monday, February 04, 2008

As One Chapter Closes

Last night was the end of an era. At 6:45 a group of us gathered together for the last church service to be held to the little sanctuary that has been the home of Bethany Community Church for the last 50 years or so. It was a bittersweet time for me. Although it is just a building it has been an important building in my life and I have had many life shaping moments within those walls.

I remember the first moment that I entered that space nearly 8 years ago. I had just moved to Seattle and was looking for a place to belong and feel at home. I had gone to a few other churches before I discovered Bethany and left each visit feeling like I had just tried on some illfitting garment. I was skeptical as I approached Bethany for the first time. First off, the service I went to was at night. This felt strange to me having spend my previous years in the church attending only morning services. But this little building glowed with the warmth of soft candle light which felt like an invitation to let down my guard and rest here awhile. The building was full of new faces but all somehow felt familiar to me. Everyone seemed to have come just as they were, with little fuss or pretense. Before even a song was sung or a word preached I felt at home, more so than ever before in the walls of a church.

Since that first Sunday that church, both the place and the people, has been a huge part of my story. How different my life would look with out that little building at 80th and Stone near Greenlake? I am thankful as I look back and hopeful that God will continue to pour out His faithfulness on our community.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Such good memories.
I have noticed that there is construction going on right next to Bethany--where will the church body be moving to?
I love the message & wisdom from the pastor at Keystone (when I go), but so miss the fellowship of other people my age, as Keystone has none.
I hope the transition to the new site of Bethany is a smooth one & that it quickly begins to feel like home.