Monday, December 08, 2008

A Tree Full of Memories

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the tree. Ever since I was a little girl I would get so excited to get our tree in the house and set about the task of draping it's branches full of ornaments. As a child it was a family event. We would put on the John Denver or Amy Grant Christmas albums to get us in the spirit. My dad would bring out the boxes of ornament from the garage and my mom would pass out the ornaments to my sister and I to hang them on the tree. There were also certain rules to decorating our tree, my favorite being, all flying things (i.e. angels, Santa's on rocket ships, etc.) were to be hung at the top of the tree. Each year our tree would grow in fullness as we acquired new ornaments. Nowadays, the tree in my parents house is so full that hardly any branches are visible through the thick layer of memories.

And today my excitement over decorating the tree is no different. Last year my mom finally brought herself to part with my collection of ornaments and sent them to me to decorate my own tree in Seattle. My mom took such care to write on each box when and how each ornament came to be mine so that I would always know the stories, no matter how many years pass. Some were gifts from family or friends, others were purchased to commemorate special events of the year, some bought, some made, but each one tells a story. As I sit and look upon my tree each evening I am reminded of what a great life I have lived and the wonderful people who have loved me throughout. So as you decorate and enjoy your Christmas trees this year may you also feel the blessings of a life well lived.










2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

Bree! You're back! I wasn't sure if you were blogging or following blogs anymore; what a treat to come across your two advent posts tonight. I love this post about your ornaments especially. How incredible that your mom took the time to write about each of your ornaments to preserve those special memories for you! I hope you are enjoying these days and the nearness of Christ as you spend time in reflection. And p.s....I know I've said this before, but I will say it again: You are a wonderful writer! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here.

Eliza said...

What a wonderful post, Bree! I was so excited to check your blog tonight & see a new post. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas & hopefully we will see one another in 2009!