Monday, July 06, 2009

Where I've been and Where I Am Going

The last few months have been a whirlwind of activity and in these first few days of July I have been enjoying the chance to breath again. So much so that I may or may not have spent the entire day in my pajamas yesterday! :)

I have been charging full speed ahead on my journey toward a Master's in Social Work. With applications not due till January-March I have been focusing my energy on getting experience in the field of social work. Before school ended for the summer I was working with an after school program through the YMCA. It was great be working with youth again and I will be happy to return to that work in the fall. I have also been jumping in to a few different roles with Habitat for Humanity's Seattle affiliate. Along with getting dirty on the build sites, I have been working on the Family Support Team and will be working as a liaison between the habitat families and the home owner's association that they will be a part of. Since most of the families are immigrant and refugee families there are language and cultural barriers that make it hard for them to understand some of the rules. I'll be walking with them to help them understand and encourage them to get involved. I know that it will be a tremendous opportunity to grow and learn. Whether at the Y or Habitat I have been pushed outside my comfort zone and into uncharted waters, but I am finding it to be exhilarating and a complete confirmation that I am heading in the right direction.

And of course, May and especially June are crazy months for work. I spent many extra hours at the office trying to keep up with the high volume of work. There is still much work to be done for the close of the school year but all the time sensitive stuff is out of the way. It is nice to feel the pressure lifting.

Now July is here and there is lots of fun and travel on the schedule for the rest of the summer. Trips to Huntington Beach, Denver, and San Francisco before the summer ends. Sunshine and good friends to enjoy. I will try to spend a little time prepping for the GRE, which I plan to take this fall. And of course more time to breathe and dream.

No comments: