Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Good Word and An Honest Response

This past Sunday, at Bethany Community Church, Richard had a very good word for us all. As the first Sunday of a new year it was a look at establishing some new ways. Richard talked about 3 different areas to cultivate in our spiritual lives; the way we steward our relationship with the Holy Spirit, the way we steward the talents God has given us, and the way we steward the "least of these" around us. As I have spent some time pondering these things the last few days I find myself struggling a bit at how to take these lessons and live them.

I have always struggled with the first point, my relationship with the Holy Spirit. I am hopelessly human and therefore I cling to tangible things. It is hard to devote myself to a thing I cannot see or touch or hear in a physical way. I know that prayer and communion with God is a thing I need desperately. And I have tasted the amazing fruits that can come from spending time there. But the fruit comes only through keeping present with God through it all, including the silent waiting. Spending time with God is not like spending time with a friend in the physical world. There are no hugs, no nods of agreement. Well maybe there are. Maybe He nods in the movement of the trees in the wind and hugs us with the warm colors of a sunset. I need to keep mindful that God's ways are not like ours and learn better how to experience the ways that he does respond. I need to learn the discipline of prayer and silence.

I struggle too, though perhaps a little less, with the issue of my talents. Any success I have had with talents has come because of their tangibility. These are the things I can do, make and say. My talents take physical shape. But then there is the question...what are my talents? What are the unique gifts that God has placed on me so that I may be a gift to the world? There are some areas that I have discovered my talents and shared them without fear or hesitation. Hospitality would one talent I am happy to invest. Then there are other areas that have all the signs of a talent, yet I am terrified to place them out in the light for all too see and judge. My music has always been a source of private comfort, but public terror. Perhaps because it is a more vulnerable expression of my inmost self and the thought of not being good enough in the eyes of another cuts deep. I need to learn to let go of the fear and share freely the gifts that have been given to me so freely.

And lastly the way I interact with the world around me, the world in need. More and more the needs grow. More and more my heart softens to the plight of those less fortunate, of whom the number is too great. But still my actions are severely deficient in comparison to my capabilities. Living in an urban setting there is no shortage of people in need that cross my path each day. So often I walk around with my eyes fixed on the ground and my mind fixed inwardly on my own wants and needs that I miss the opportunities that abound. There are simple things that I can do that don't require a huge shift in the way I live. To keep a few granola bars in my car to give to the homeless at the intersection on the way home from work. To help someone struggling with a heavy load by carrying a bag or two. I need to learn to look out into the world, away from myself, and see the needs of others and do what I can to meet them.

While it is good to think about such things it is my hope that as I journey ahead that these thoughts will make way into action. And that those actions will be a blessing to God and to the world!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Bree, what a beautiful, introspective & "outrospective" post. My pastor too has always challenged us to "be Christ in the world." To bring his light & love to those that need it most. Your thoughts on how to really put this into action help me jumpstart my own thoughts in that same area. While my work helps me to affect change international (as well as some locally), my heart keeps stirring at the plight of the Seattle homeless. I received this beautiful book for Christmas that I think you would enjoy: Beloved Community, The Sisterhood of Homeless Women in Poetry. It is a WHEEL (Women's Housing, Equality & Enhancement League) anthology & is incredible moving. Best wishes to you as you navigate this ongoing journey.
Happy New Year, my dear, & I hope we can see one another soon!