Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Up to the Mountain

I am still reveling in the joy of yesterday. A proud day for America. A day that marked the end of an old era and the beginning of a new. On January 20th, 2009 I watched through blurry, tear-filled eyes as Barak Hussein Obama was sworn in as the first African American President of the United States of America. It is hard to express the emotions of that moment. Hope and pride welling up inside. 2oo plus year of our country's history, full of moments that made it all possible, running through my mind. Obama's hand resting on Abraham Lincoln's bible. Millions gathered in Washington and billions more in front of TV's, computer screens and radios around the world experiencing history together. I don't know if I have ever seen my country so united.

It seemed so fitting, like God predestined it to be, that Obama would be sworn in on the day after the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr's life and legacy. Without MLK I am certain that this day would still be a long way off. While many had the words of King's "I have a Dream" speech ringing in their ears yesterday I was thinking of a different speech. Just one day before he was assassinated Martin Luther King Jr had this to say...

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

For so many Americans the floodgates of possibilities opened up for them yesterday, because of the long line of men and women, including MLK and culminating with Barak Obama, who believed that America was truly the land where all men are created equal.

A favorite musician of mine, Patty Griffin, wrote a song in tribute to MLK and his "I've been to the mountaintop" speech. The melody has been playing through my head for last few days now. Black or white, we could all use this kind of faith that God can and will make good on his promises. As we journey ahead into uncertain times we need great hope that we can persevere. Both King and Obama said that there would be dark days ahead, but both men remind us that we will get to the other side. The question of if has now been shattered. The only question left is when.

"Up To The Mountain (MLK Song)"

I went up to the mountain because you asked me to
Up over the clouds to where the sky was blue
I could see all around me everywhere
I could see all around me everywhere

Sometimes I feel like I've never been nothing but tired
And I'll be walking till the day I expire
Sometimes I lay down, no more can I do
But then I go on again because you ask me to

Some days I look down afraid I will fall
And though the sun shines I see nothing at all
Then I hear your sweet voice, oh
Oh, come and then go, come and then go
Telling me softly You love me so

The peaceful valley just over the mountain
The peaceful valley, few come to know
I may never get there ever in this lifetime
But sooner or later it's there I will go
Sooner or later it's there I will go

No comments: