Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Inspiration from the Shores of Walden Pond

About a year and a half ago I had the pleasure of going to the east coast to visit friends. One of the stops we made was to the little town of Concord, just west of Boston. This quaint little town is so rich with history and inspiration. While there I had the chance to stand on the shores of Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau lived and wrote for many years of his life. It was such a rich experience to stand in the place that inspire these words... As I ponder Thoreau's thoughts I long, as he did, to "live deliberately." I find myself growing numb as I am buried by all the "conveniences" of modern life. Since I live alone, on the nights I am home for dinner I find that I turn on the TV for company. But last night I longed for quiet. So I fixed my dinner and sat down in my favorite chair with my plate in my lap. Normally I would have just started eating, giving little thought to the act, but last night I just sat for a moment. Drinking in the blessing of knowing I was about to enjoy a hot meal. Being fully aware that I am rich with so many blessings. I said a little prayer of thanksgiving and then I began to eat. With out the TV on I was able to saver every bit, enjoying flavors that took me back to happy memories of childhood.

I wish that these kind of moments came more often in my life. I wish that I was more thoughtful about the things I do, even the common place tasks like eating or cleaning. I feel like God is gently calling to me through this experience to "front only the essential facts of life." There is so much excess in my life, so much more than what is needed. But, I am frightened at the thought of cutting things out of my life because there is comfort in the familiarity of my current routine. But I have to ask myself if I would really miss so many of the things that I cling to? Would my life have less meaning or fulfillment is I cut a few small things out?

I want to live life to its fullest. I want to accept that gracious invitation that God so lovingly offers for "life, and life abundant." But isn't it just like God to set things up so that the "more" only comes with "less"?

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

What a powerful last line. I will be mulling that over for quite awhile today. I appreciate your words, Bree. Honest and full of hope, they are--an inspiration. Thank you for continuing to share...this is good stuff! :)