Monday, February 27, 2006

More of Less

In the past few months I feel like God has been bringing to my attention all the excess in my life. Every where I look I see more clothes then I ever wear, more stuff then I ever use, more CD's then I ever listen to, and so on. In the past all this "stuff" has always made me feel like I am doing well in life, but recently it has only served to make be feel overwhelmed by all my options.


So rather than continue to live in this overwhelmed state that is dulling my senses I am making efforts to minimize. This has always been a hard thing for me to do since I am a pack-rat by nature. I have a hard time letting go of things because I have sentimental attachments or special memories tied to so many of the physical objects in my life. So I never really try to get rid of things.

But about a month ago I had had enough. I boxed up 3 large boxes of clothing that I planned to take to charity. When my dear friend Kristen heard me mention this she suggested that we have a clothing exchange. She invited a bunch of friends to clean out their closets too and bring all the clothes together so people can see if there is anything that they would like. Then whatever was left we would take to charity. There was so much clothing and shoes I couldn't believe it! It was fun to see people getting excited about the stuff I brought and finding a new treasure for their closets. I even found a few things for myself. But it was still a major down sizing for me. And the thing that suprised me is how fun and easy it was to get rid of so much stuff. And two weeks later I have no regrets in getting rid of any of it. In fact it makes me want to do the same kind of thing with CD's, books and movies.

Today is the start of the season of Lent. A season to slow down and take a step back from all the "stuff" of life and prepare our hearts for the joy that awaits us in celebrating Easter. And as I think of the lessons God has been teaching me the past few months I find that it's no coincidence that He chose this time of year. So as I try to continue on my journey to lessen the distractions of all the stuff around me I want to dedicate this effort to Christ and ask that through cutting these distrations from my life that my heart and mind would be free to see all that God longs to show me.

For Lent this year I have decided to give up a few things to open up more space for God in my heart and life. I am going to cut out TV Monday-Friday from the hours of 5-8 PM. It is so easy to come home after a long day of work and just plop down on the couch for an evening of numbing TV. Till Easter, I will instead choose to devote this time to bible study, prayer, silence, and other activities that will serve to draw me into the presence of God. Also in my quest to continue to minimize the distraction of "stuff" in my life I will refrain from shopping, with the exception of grocries. Any time that I would have spent shopping will instead be used to enjoy all the truest gifts that God give freely, like family, friends, and creation.

If any of you are planning to observe Lent this year I would love to hear how you will participate so that I can pray for you and encourage you along the way. Blessing to all!

No comments: