Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dining in the Dark

Last night was quite fun. Just before I was heading home from work I got an email from my dear friend, Andrea. After a long day of both of us being couped in our offices, when all the while the sun was shining outside, she suggested that we go to the beach and enjoy the extra hours of sun. It was quite windy and chilly at the beach but it was still nice to be outside in the fresh salty sea air. We watched the Kite Surfers twirl above the water and a playful puppy dig holes in the sand that he than would jump into. We listened to good music on my iPod and sang along. But there came a point when our feet were so cold that we decided it was time to leave the beach and head to dinner.

We decided to go to Agua Verde over by UW. When we got there is was quite crowded so we had to wait a bit and by the time we were seated the sun was finally down and the sky was dark. We had been seated long enough to place our order and then all of the sudden the power went out. I can honestly say that was the first time that had ever happened to me. Everyone kind of laughed then just carried on like nothing happen. There we were, a restaurant full of people enjoying our time with friends and family over tasty mexican food in total darkness. As Andrea and I watch the wait staff bring out candles and carry on like nothing had happened we began to speculate that this has happened before.

It was quite a fun and adventurous experience, dining in the dark. It just so happened that there weren't enough candles for all the tables in the restaurant so Andrea and I really were in the dark until the folks at a near by table finished their meal and left. I quickly tiptoed across the walkway and snatched the candle for our own table. I felt so sneaky! We enjoyed our food. Perhaps more so because we couldn't really see well. You know, that whole when one sense is impaired the others are hightened. We had silly conversation and laughed so hard.

So next time the lights go I encourage you all to enjoy it for the adventure it can be!

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

How fun--a great memory to be sure!