Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Out in my "Backyard"



Yesterday, after I left work, I decided I would spend sometime enjoying the sunny weather. I had to return a movie to Rain City Video just up the hill from my house so I began the walk up 32nd. After I had made my drop a friend of mine, Crissie, drove up and told me to hop in cause it was free scoop day at Ben & Jerry's. We drove over to Market St. and met up with Andrea for our free scoop. I had a lovely scoop of my all time favorite Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Phish Food, on a crispy sugar cone. It was the perfect treat for such a sunny and beautiful day.

After our stop for ice cream I parted ways with my friends to do the thing I had first set out to do. I made my way down Market St to the Ballard Locks on foot. I like to refer to the Locks as my Backyard since it is just across the street from my apartment and I have no yard of my own.

So I unfolded my towel on the grassy hill along the canal, pulled out my iPod and proceeded to lay there in the sun for about an hour and a half. I contimplated a few questions I have be asking myself about future plans and relationships. I read some old journal entries that made me laugh and feel thankful for the ways that God has been faithful to guide me through the struggles of yesterday. I listened to the rumble of passing trains and the laughter of some nearby children on a family picnic for dinner. And then there were two Bald Eagles that spent much of the time circling overhead with such grace and ease.

I love that I have a place like this so close to home. A little piece of earth to come and enjoy the world around me and all the beauty it holds. And I love these sunny days that I have the opportunity to really get out in the world and enjoy it.

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

Sounds like such a beautiful evening! (and nice pedicure, by the way!) I'm inspired by the way you take time to savor life--both with friends, and in solitude.

I love that the Locks is your backyard!

I'm looking forward to spending time with you this weekend! xoxo, Kristen

Me said...

Oh, beautiful!! I can't wait to get to hang out with you there this summer! Do you realize that I've never been to the locks? Shocking, I know. But we'll just have to remedy that soon.