Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oklahoma and a Time Machine

So I seem to be on this crazy blogging binge. This is my 3rd day in a row after a long absence from writing. And today I am filled with excitment and anticipation for my long weekend trip to Oklahoma. I know it may seem strange to feel so jazzed about a trip to the middle of America but I am. See there is Okie in my blood. My mom was born there and most of her side of the family still resides there. And it has been 10 years since I have had the pleasure of visiting.

The reason for my visit...To surprise my dear Mimi (grandma) for her 80th birthday. I will leave tomorrow morning for the big event. My parents and Sister are on their way there today from California and a whole slew of other relatives will be coming for the party on Saturday.

I can't imagine what is must be like to be turning 80. The world has changed a lot in the last 80 years. I wrote this paper when I was still in college about my family. Part of the assignment was to write about family history. So I called my Mimi and had her tell me stories from her life. She told me about using an outhouse when she was little, riding in her mothers model-T, and her childhood chore of bringing water to the house from the well. How curious to see the whole world change so much during your lifetime?

My mom has been hard at work to create a special scrapbook for the occasion. A commemoration of 80 years well lived. My aunt Valerie (who lives in OK) had to sealthly sneak Mimi's address book out of the house so that my mom could send letters to all the family and friends that have been a part of Mimi's 80 years to ask them to contribute memories and photographs for the album. As my mom has received new entries she has shared them with me over the phone. Some memories so sweet and tender that they brought a tear, some memories so funny and outragous that I couldn't stop laughing. My Mimi has lead a good life to be certain.

This weekend will be a time machine of sorts. A journey through my families history. I am excited for the stories that will be shared about the old days and for the new memories to be made. It will also be a journey back to memories of childhood days and visits to Oklahoma in the hot sticky summers. It will be wonderful indeed!

No comments: