Friday, December 15, 2006

A Poem to Ponder

As we head into the final weekend before Christmas I thought I would leave you with a poem to ponder. I know so often I find myself swept up in the excitment of the season. There are gifts to buy, festive parties to attend, and travels to be made to visit loved ones. It is easy to lose sight of what Christmas is all about.

I found this in a collection of poems by Madeleine L'Engle (Best known as the author of A Wrinkle in Time). Her poems are beautiful and full of challenge. She has so many poems in particular about what Christmas really means. This one is short and yet holds more power and truth than many works twice its size. I hope that it will stir your heart as it has mine.





After Annunciation
by Madeleine L'Engle

This is the irrational season
When love blooms bright and wild.
Had Mary been filled with reason
There'd have been no room for the child.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

This is lovely & so real & full of life.
Welcome back, Bree!
And a very Merry Christmas to you!