Friday, February 16, 2007

Remember You Are Chosen

Two times in my life I have had the most beautiful gift of a butterfly resting from its flight on my body. The first encounter came when I was maybe 6 years old and carving a pumpkin in the front yard for Halloween. A beautiful monarch butterfly landed on my shoulder and sat with me awhile. As a child it was magical to know that this butterfly had chosen me for a perch to rest upon. In a garden full of beautiful plants and flowers this butterfly chose me.

The second butterfly descended on me as I walked through a butterfly garden about 4 years ago. I rested my hand on the railing of a bridge and a delicate yellow and black butterfly landed on my hand. I could feel the tickle of it's almost weightless body. I marveled at the sensation and the sight. I didn't want to move for fear of scaring off my new friend. I felt the same magic that I had as a 6 year old, the joy of being chosen.

But lately the magic has been forgotten and I have felt anything but chosen. Forgotten and overlooked are much better descriptions for my current state. I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself in all the hurt and disappointment that comes with being in relationship with other human beings (who are equally flawed as myself). Then in the midst of all that self pity I remembered these encounters with the butterflies. I remembered that I was chosen, and not just once. I must take these memories and move forward with a hopeful heart that I will be chosen again.

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

these are such beautiful memories... i love the meaning you have found in them, bree, because this is true. you are chosen; you are a beautiful, beloved woman.

i am thankful you have chosen me to be your friend! thank you for the encouragement you offer all of us through your blog and your life-reflections.

Casey said...

Being new to a huge city, and knowing very few people...I know how it feels to be forgotten and overlooked. I loved reading your post, it reminds me that there are so many memories to be thankful for! :)

I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week Bree!