Monday, January 22, 2007

I Think I'll Start with Favorite Smell

Just a few blocks from my apartment there is a place I know that I am sure to find my favorite smell. I love when I have the chance to walk by and breathe in deep the smell of fresh lumber.

I know it is a somewhat strange smell to love but I can't help it. I have always loved that smell. I think it goes back to my childhood days. My dad has always been quite the carpenter. He has built cabinets for our house, shelving for the garage, sailboats, canoes, and endless other little things. As a child I loved to make my way out to the the garage and "work" along side my dad as he built so many beautiful things. Occasionally I would get to tag along on trips to the lumberyard. I always thought it was a big treat. After all I never say other little girls at the lumberyard, I must be truly special to be there.

So when ever I catch the scent of lumber in the air I pause...breathe in deep...and remember.

2 comments:

Aleah said...

I love that smell too. And cedar especially!
Thanks for sharing and starting this whole thing!

Eliza said...

This is fun, Bree!
And I love your pick for smell--it makes me think of projects. My mom has always made things from wood & while growing up, I would visit her downstairs while she worked on the band saw, peeking at her results & always enjoying the smell of cut wood (if not the same love for the dust!).