Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Truth About Snowflakes

During the glorious snow fall on Saturday I made an exciting discovery. I will start by explaining that I spent the first 20 years of my life in Huntington Beach, CA. We didn't get any snow there ever! I saw snow plenty of times before I moved to Seattle, but I think I only ever saw it falling once or twice in my California days. Then all the times it has snowed in Seattle it has been a somewhat wet snow that clumps together.

But Saturday as my friend Andrea (also from southern California) and I ventured out into the snow we were so excited by what we say. Andrea exclaimed, "They are little Stars!" And with that we were both examining every flake that landed on our sleeves and mittens. It was amazing! Snowflakes really look like snowflakes! I don't know the last time I was overcome by such awe. I was keenly aware of God in that moment. How could anyone who ever say a snowflake, so perfectly crafted and intricately beautiful, think that it just happened by chance? As I saw those little stars and the great care with which they had been formed I thought of how much more care went into making me.

I don't think that I will ever look at snow the same again!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I love that! Thank you so much for sharing this story I hope we get more snow soon so I can look for little stars and be reminded of God and his wondrous ability to create...I think he made the flakes for exactly this reason, he loves to hear us joyfully exclaim how we love the beauty he has given us!